We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us.
Inaugural Event: Digital Engagement Workshop
On February 20, 2013, more than 100 educators, librarians and technology specialists came to Providence's URI-CCE campus to learn something new about digital media and learning while "speed dating" and making new friends on a cold and frosty February afternoon.
The inaugural Digital Engagement
Conference sponsored by the Media Education Lab, provided an
opportunity for networking, information-sharing, and inspiration among educators at
all levels who are interested in using digital media and technology to
enhance teaching and learning.
Keynote speakers included Dr. Julie Coiro and Dr. Renee Hobbs. Coiro discussed her current research and the implications for educators and Hobbs led the group in reflecting on their learning after participating in two of the eight small-group workshops offered at the conference. These interactive "speed dating" presentations introduced creative strategies for implementing various web applications to engage students, enhance learning, and build communication and critical thinking skills. Topics included:
- Libguides for content management / Stefanie Metko and Cheryl McCarthy
- Gender Diversity program: A media literacy curriculum / Elizaveta Provorova
- Using Tumblr to Increase Student Engagement / Kelsey Greene
- Google Doc as a collaborative tool / Jonathan Friesem
- Using Screencasting in the Online Writing Classroom / Wendy Grosskopf
- How to Make a Student-Produced Video in Just One Class Period / Renee Hobbs
- Digital Literacy and the Inquiry Method: Practical Applications in the Trenches / David J. Quinn
- Wikipedia: Friend or Foe? / Mary Moen
REGISTER ONLINE HERE. Admission for those who register by February 1st is $15. After February 1st, the admission fee raises to $25 for the general public, $35 at the door the day of the event. Admission is free for URI students and $15 for all other students who present a valid college or university ID. Cost of admission includes hors d'oeuvres and refreshments during the evening reception, as well as parking validation in the Rhode Island Convention Center Garage.