A combination of "tool competence" and cognitive skills are needed.
The Media Education Lab respects the personal information that you provide to us when using our website. We do not collect personal information about visitors to our website unless you choose to provide it to us. We collect two types of information about our website visitors: 1) anonymous information that is automatically collected from all visitors to our site, and 2) personally identifiable information that you knowingly and voluntarily submit.
If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors - to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. This information does not identify you personally. We collect the following information:
- The Internet domain (e.g., "xcompany.com" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourschool.edu" if you connect from a university's domain) and the Internet Protocol (IP) address (the unique numerical expression of the domain from which your computer operates and the computer that you are using) from which you access our website
- The types of browser and operating systems used to access our website
- The dates and times our website is accessed
- The pages visited
- The number of accesses to each page
- If users linked to our website from another website, the address of that website
The Media Education Lab collects personal information when you voluntarily register as a user of the site and provide information to us. Personal information we may collect includes your name and e-mail address. When you register to receive our newsletter, you are giving consent for us to use the information for the stated purpose, such as to:
- Share information with our community
- Respond to your message
- Help us get you the information you have requested
If you decide to give us personal information, we may contact you about other Media Education Lab programs or opportunities. Our website has some pages on which members of our community are invited to comment or provide feedback, such as message boards. Any information (comments, photos, sounds) posted on these pages becomes public information.
We do not disclose personal information to third-party service providers.
The personal information we collect is stored on a secured server. We use industry-standard encryption technologies to prevent your personal and financial information from being seen as it travels over the Internet to our servers.