Media literacy is the process of asking questions about what you watch, see, listen to and read.
Council on Foreign Relations
The Council of Foreign Relations has invited Renee Hobbs to offer an academic webinar on Media Literacy and Propaganda on March 29, 2023. Learn more about the series here.
For the discussion, we circulated the following background readings to participants:
1. Samantha Power, “How Democracy Can Win: The Right Way to Counter Autocracy,” Foreign Affairs, March/April 2023.
2. Joshua Kurlantzick, “How Beijing is Controlling Chinese Media in Canada and Around the World,” Article, Council on Foreign Relations, January 6, 2023.
3. Andrei Kolesnikov, “The Hypnotist in the Kremlin: How Putin Has Used Fear and Disinformation to Neutralize the Russian Public,” ForeignAffairs.com, September 9, 2022.
4. Cynthia Miller-Idriss, “America’s Epidemic of Hate: Stopping Mass Shootings Requires Combating Online Extremism,” ForeignAffairs.com, July 8, 2022.
5. Gideon Rose, “Fake News, Then and Now,” Article, Council on Foreign Relations, June 16, 2022.