The secret of education is respecting the pupil.
Fake News at NCA
Surviving “fake news”: Critical approaches to media literacy in the 21st century
DATE: Saturday, November 16, 2019
TIME: 2:00 PM - 3:15 PM
LOCATION: Baltimore Convention Center Room: 327 (300 Level)
The ability to critically evaluate news content is essential to democracy. Yet, today's increasingly polarized political climate has raised concerns about misleading news stories, the capacity to recognize "fake news", and people's growing mistrust in the media. Skillful appraisal of information is key to surviving this era of uncertainty. Join experts in media studies, law, and information science to share pedagogies aimed at helping students strengthen their assessment of the information they encounter across platforms.
- Chair Jennifer Bonnet, University of Maine
- Co-Chair Judith Rosenbaum, University of Maine
- Imani M. Cheers, George Washington University
- Renee Hobbs, University of Rhode Island
- Vanessa Otero, Ad Fontes Media
Sponsor/Co-Sponsors Mass Communication Division