The genres, codes, conventions and symbolic forms of messages shape perception and interpretation.
Fight Disinformation with Media Literacy
FIGHT DISINFORMATION WITH MEDIA LITERACY: A Media Meets Literacy Initiative by the Evens Foundation, organized with the Media and Learning Association and supported by the European Commission (Communication Networks, Content and Technology)
DATE: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
TIME: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
LOCATION: Center for the Arts BOZAR, Brussels Belgium
PRESENTERS: Renee Hobbs, Maja Dobiasz-Krysiak, Nicoleta Fotiade, Sonja Hernesniemi, Igor Kanizaj, Bert Pieters, Eva Van Passell
Orientation to Propaganda Education
- Mind Over Media EU
- Planet of Propaganda
- PPT Slides
- Key Ideas: Propaganda can be beneficial or harmful. It can be found in news and information, advertising, entertainment, education & activism. Propaganda analysis can promote intellectual curiosity and cultural understanding
QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION: How does propaganda analysis cultivate intellectual curiosity and cross-cultural understanding?
TEAMWORK: Identifying Propaganda Techniques
- ACTIVATE STRONG EMOTION: Our People Abused -- Mothers Neglect
- RESPOND TO AUDIENCE NEEDS: Patriotic Song Lyrics -- All that We Share
- SIMPLIFY INFORMATION: Polish National Health Program -- Comunism Romania
- ATTACK OPPONENTS Croatian Migrants -- Rap Against Dictatorship
QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION: How does news reporting amplify propaganda?
TEAMWORK: Where Propaganda Can be Found
- ENTERTAINMENT: Vloggers vs cigarettes or Hacksaw Ridge
- GOVERNMENT: Kim-Trump Action Movie
- ACTIVISM: Vote for Energy vs Activist Uncovers Vote4Energy or Animal Slavery
- EDUCATION: Why World Maps are Wrong or Respectful Relationships Curriculum
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION: Dialogues on Propaganda