Every new technology comes complete with its own unique catastrophe. The invention of the airplane was also the invention of the plane crash.
Fight Disinformation with Media Literacy
FIGHT DISINFORMATION WITH MEDIA LITERACY: A Media Meets Literacy Initiative by the Evens Foundation, organized with the Media and Learning Association and supported by the European Commission (Communication Networks, Content and Technology)
DATE: Tuesday, November 13, 2018
TIME: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
LOCATION: Center for the Arts BOZAR, Brussels Belgium
PRESENTERS: Renee Hobbs, Maja Dobiasz-Krysiak, Nicoleta Fotiade, Sonja Hernesniemi, Igor Kanizaj, Bert Pieters, Eva Van Passell
Orientation to Propaganda Education
- Mind Over Media EU
- Planet of Propaganda
- PPT Slides
- Key Ideas: Propaganda can be beneficial or harmful. It can be found in news and information, advertising, entertainment, education & activism. Propaganda analysis can promote intellectual curiosity and cultural understanding
QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION: How does propaganda analysis cultivate intellectual curiosity and cross-cultural understanding?
TEAMWORK: Identifying Propaganda Techniques
- ACTIVATE STRONG EMOTION: Our People Abused -- Mothers Neglect
- RESPOND TO AUDIENCE NEEDS: Patriotic Song Lyrics -- All that We Share
- SIMPLIFY INFORMATION: Polish National Health Program -- Comunism Romania
- ATTACK OPPONENTS Croatian Migrants -- Rap Against Dictatorship
QUESTION FOR DISCUSSION: How does news reporting amplify propaganda?
TEAMWORK: Where Propaganda Can be Found
- ENTERTAINMENT: Vloggers vs cigarettes or Hacksaw Ridge
- GOVERNMENT: Kim-Trump Action Movie
- ACTIVISM: Vote for Energy vs Activist Uncovers Vote4Energy or Animal Slavery
- EDUCATION: Why World Maps are Wrong or Respectful Relationships Curriculum
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION: Dialogues on Propaganda