A democratic civilization will save itself only if it makes the language of the image into a stimulus for critical reflection, not an invitation to hypnosis.
Labsters at NCA Philadelphia
The Labsters are gathering in Philadelphia for the National Communication Association, November 10 - 13, 2016. Events include:
THURSDAY, Nov 10
- 11 - 12:15 p.m. Lisa Friesem. Half-changed Minds: How Hegemony Shapes Youths' Perception of Media and Gender. Marriott Downtown, Room 408, Level 4.
- 3:30 - 4:45. Yonty Friesem. Tuned In: How to Use Peer Empathic Feedback in Media Literacy Class with Foster Youth. Marriott Downtown, Room 412, Level 4.
- 3:30 - 4: 45. Renee Hobbs: How Classroom Teachers Approach Transgression in Media Production Classrooms. Marriott Downtown, Room 412, Level 4.
FRIDAY, Nov 11
- 8 - 9:15. Lisa Friesem. Where is the Queerness in Games? Marriott Downtown, Room 310, Level 3.
- 2 - 3:15 p.m. Teachers on Teaching: Honoring the Pedagogy of J. Jacob Jenkins and Renee Hobbs. Marriott Downtown, Room 304, Level 3. Featuring: Nuala Cabral, Angela Cirucci, Yonty Friesem, Lisa Friesem, Zoey Wang, Jiwon Yoon.
LISTEN TO THE TEACHERS ON TEACHING SESSION, which was organised by Professor Jiwon Yoon and featuring remarks from Angela Cirucci, Nuala Cabral, Zoey Wong, David Cooper Moore, Elizaveta Friesem, and Yonty Friesem here, with reflections on teaching by Renee Hobbs at the conclusion of the event.