The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education puts an end to copyright confusion! Check out our case study videos, Schoolhouse-Rock style music videos, as well as our readings, activities and lesson plans for high school and college students to learn about copyright and fair use as they apply to teaching and learning with digital media, mass media and popular culture. As copyright advocates, we have used the DMCA exemption process to help ensure that K-12 teachers and students can maintain their fair use of film DVDs.
Copyright and Fair Use
A Special Ticketed Event
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Primack B.A., Gold M.A., Switzer G.E., Hobbs R., Land S.R., & Fine M.J...(2006,January).Development and Validation of a Smoking Media Literacy Scale Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine,369-374.
- Primack, B.A., Hobbs, R., Switzer, G.E., Land, S., Fine, M.F. & Gold, M...(2006,January).Associations Between Media Literacy and Adolescent Smoking Journal of Adolescent Health,93-94.
- Hobbs, R...(2006,January).Non-Optimal Uses of Video in the Classroom Learning, Media and Technology,45-50.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2005,January).The State of Media Literacy Education Journal of Communication ,p. 865-871.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,January).Strengthening Media Education in the Twenty-first Century: Opportunities for the State of Pennsylvania Arts Education Policy Review,13-45.