The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education puts an end to copyright confusion! Check out our case study videos, Schoolhouse-Rock style music videos, as well as our readings, activities and lesson plans for high school and college students to learn about copyright and fair use as they apply to teaching and learning with digital media, mass media and popular culture. As copyright advocates, we have used the DMCA exemption process to help ensure that K-12 teachers and students can maintain their fair use of film DVDs.
Copyright and Fair Use
Renee Hobbs is delighted to offer a two-day, fully-online program to Nebraska educators, librarians, and technology leaders on November 16 and 17, 2022. This event is sponsored by the ESU Coordinating Council.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Analyzing Advertising in the English Language Arts Classroom: A Quasi-Experimental Study. SIMILE: Studies in Media & Information Literacy Education,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Review of "The Real Thing: Doing Philosophy with Media" by Christina Slade Communication Education ,p. 307-308. .
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.
- Hobbs, R. and Frost, R...(2003,January). Measuring the Acquisition of Media Literacy Skills Reading Research Quarterly,330-354.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January).Classroom Strategies for Exploring Realism and Authenticity in Media Messages Reading Online,.
- ..(2001,January).Improving Reading Comprehension by Using Media Literacy Activities Voices from the Middle ,44 - 50.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,October).Literacy for the Information Age Classroom Leadership,4 – 6.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,).Research in Media Literacy Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy ,8 -11.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.
- Hobbs, R. & Frost, R...(1999,January).Instructional Practices in Media Literacy Education and Their Impact on Students' Learning New Jersey Journal of Communication,123-148.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,January).Deciding What to Believe in an Age of Information Abundance ,11-27.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,).People From Many Walks of Life Enrich The Media Literacy Movement The Journal of Media Literacy , 17-19.