The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education puts an end to copyright confusion! Check out our case study videos, Schoolhouse-Rock style music videos, as well as our readings, activities and lesson plans for high school and college students to learn about copyright and fair use as they apply to teaching and learning with digital media, mass media and popular culture. As copyright advocates, we have used the DMCA exemption process to help ensure that K-12 teachers and students can maintain their fair use of film DVDs.
Copyright and Fair Use
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Podcast explore the politics of media literacy and the pedagogy of teaching propaganda
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,October).Literacy for the Information Age Classroom Leadership,4 – 6.
- Hobbs, R...(2000,).Research in Media Literacy Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy ,8 -11.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.
- Hobbs, R. & Frost, R...(1999,January).Instructional Practices in Media Literacy Education and Their Impact on Students' Learning New Jersey Journal of Communication,123-148.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,January).Deciding What to Believe in an Age of Information Abundance ,11-27.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,).People From Many Walks of Life Enrich The Media Literacy Movement The Journal of Media Literacy , 17-19.
- Hobbs, R...(1998,January).Teaching With and About Film and Television Journal of Management Development,9-29.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1998,January). The Simpsons Meet Mark Twain: Analyzing Popular Media Texts in the Classroom English Journal,49-53.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1996,January). Teaching Media Literacy Children and the media (Reprint of Media Studies Journal article, 1994).,103-111.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,January). The Billerica Initiative Brings Media Literacy to Middle School Community Media Review,.
- Hobbs, R. & Folkemer, P..(1994,January).A New Lens on Channel One Education Week ,37.
- Hobbs, R...(1994,January).Teaching Media Literacy - Yo! Are You Hip To This? Media Studies Journal,135-145.