The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education puts an end to copyright confusion! Check out our case study videos, Schoolhouse-Rock style music videos, as well as our readings, activities and lesson plans for high school and college students to learn about copyright and fair use as they apply to teaching and learning with digital media, mass media and popular culture. As copyright advocates, we have used the DMCA exemption process to help ensure that K-12 teachers and students can maintain their fair use of film DVDs.
Copyright and Fair Use
A Special Ticketed Event
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(1999,February).Teaching the Humanities in a Media Age Educational Leadership, 56-62.
- Hobbs, R. & Frost, R...(1999,January).Instructional Practices in Media Literacy Education and Their Impact on Students' Learning New Jersey Journal of Communication,123-148.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,January).Deciding What to Believe in an Age of Information Abundance ,11-27.
- Hobbs, R...(1999,).People From Many Walks of Life Enrich The Media Literacy Movement The Journal of Media Literacy , 17-19.
- Hobbs, R...(1998,January).Teaching With and About Film and Television Journal of Management Development,9-29.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1998,January). The Simpsons Meet Mark Twain: Analyzing Popular Media Texts in the Classroom English Journal,49-53.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1996,January). Teaching Media Literacy Children and the media (Reprint of Media Studies Journal article, 1994).,103-111.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,January). The Billerica Initiative Brings Media Literacy to Middle School Community Media Review,.
- Hobbs, R. & Folkemer, P..(1994,January).A New Lens on Channel One Education Week ,37.
- Hobbs, R...(1994,January).Teaching Media Literacy - Yo! Are You Hip To This? Media Studies Journal,135-145.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,).The Billerica Initiative Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy,34-39.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,August).See Dick and Jane Deconstruct: ABC's of Teaching Media Literacy The Independent,25-30.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.