Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Bring media literacy and active listening to middle school, high school, college and adult learners
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(2005,January).The State of Media Literacy Education Journal of Communication ,p. 865-871.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,January).Strengthening Media Education in the Twenty-first Century: Opportunities for the State of Pennsylvania Arts Education Policy Review,13-45.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,).What's News? Educational Leadership ,71-76.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Media Literacy, General Semantics, and K-12 Education ETC: A Review of General Semantics,24-28.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Analyzing Advertising in the English Language Arts Classroom: A Quasi-Experimental Study. SIMILE: Studies in Media & Information Literacy Education,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Review of "The Real Thing: Doing Philosophy with Media" by Christina Slade Communication Education ,p. 307-308. .
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.
- Hobbs, R. and Frost, R...(2003,January). Measuring the Acquisition of Media Literacy Skills Reading Research Quarterly,330-354.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January).Classroom Strategies for Exploring Realism and Authenticity in Media Messages Reading Online,.
- ..(2001,January).Improving Reading Comprehension by Using Media Literacy Activities Voices from the Middle ,44 - 50.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,January). Media Literacy Skills: Interpreting Tragedy Social Education , 406-411.
- Hobbs, R...(2001,).The Great Media Literacy Debates in 2001 Community Media Review,17-23.