Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,December).Voices on Antisemitism: A Podcast Series United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Digital and Media Literacy: A Plan of Action The Aspen Institute,Washington DC
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning ,
- Renee Hobbs & Amy Petersen Jensen..(2009,).The past, present and future of media literacy education Journal of Media Literacy Education,1 - 11.
- Renee Hobbs..(2007,).Reading the Media: Media literacy in High School English ,https://digitalauthorshipuri.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/hobbs-reading-the-media-2007-book1.pdf
- Hobbs, R...(1998,January).The Seven Great Debates in the Media Literacy Movement Journal of Communication,9-29.