Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs and Lourdes Smith..(2018,).Digital Authorship: Issues and Implications for Educators Primer: Massachusetts Reading Association,.
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.
- Julie Coiro, Wendy Espinoza Cotta, Theresa Deeney, Jay Fogleman, Annice Correia Gabel..(2018,).Advancing a Shared Understanding of Personalized Learning .
- Renee Hobbs & Sait Tuzel..(2017,January).Teacher Motivations for Digital and Media Literacy: An Examination of Turkish Educators British Journal of Educational Technology,7 - 22.
- Branson, S. Clayton, K. & Murphy, A. ..(2017,).DigiURI Blog: From PD to Practice. .
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Teaching and Learning in a Post-Truth World Educational Leadership,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,May).When teens create the news: Examining the impact of PBS News Hour Student Reporting Labs Journalism Education,61-73.
- University of Rhode Island..(2014,February).Graduate Certificate in Digital Literacy University of Rhode Island.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K. Friesem, J. & Moen, M. ..(2013,August).Evaluation of PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs University of Rhode Island.
- Renee Hobbs, Nuala Cabral, Aggie Ebrahimi, Jiwon Yoon & Rawia Al-Humaidan ..(2011,June).Field-Based Teacher Education in Elementary Media Literacy as a Means to Promote Global Understanding Action in Teacher Education,144 - 156.