Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Kelly Mendoza, K., Pereira, T. Xu, W., & Yoon, J...(2007,).Seeing through the Blog: A Case Study of the Scarsdale Current Events Blog .
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,).Connecting the Literature on Girls and the Internet to Evaluation Ideas for My Pop Studio .
- Henry Cohn-Geltner..(2007,).An examination of the impact of media literacy programs on reengaging high school dropouts in the academic process .
- Jiwon Yoon..(2007,).Media Education: Benefits for Students and Teachers at Alternative High Schools .
- Renee Hobbs, Paul Folkemer & Katie Donnelly..(2007,).Teens Blog the News .
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,January).Does Media Literacy Work? An Empirical Study of Learning How to Analyze Advertisements Advertising and Society Review ,1-28.
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,).A Review of School-based Initiatives in Media Literacy American Behavioral Scientist,48-59.
- Friesem, Y..(2017,).The media production hive: Using media education for differentiated instruction. Media Education- Studies, Research, Best Practice, 8(1), 123-140. doi:10.14605/MED811708,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2016,July).Experience, immersion and critical distance in VR/AR in education Ed Tech Mindset,24 - 26.
- Coiro, J., Castek, J. & Quinn, D...(2016,April).Personal inquiry and online research: Connecting learners in ways that matter. The Reading Teacher 69,483 - 492.
- Valenza, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2016,April).School librarians as stakeholders in the children and media community: A dialogue Journal of Children and Media 10:2, 147-155, DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2015.1127841,.