The Media Education Lab is a global network of scholars, educators and activists who believe that media literacy education can promote global cultural understanding by increasing intellectual curiosity and recognizing and resisting stereotypes. Check out our collaborative project with the Roberts Elementary School on how media literacy can help children recognize and resist harmful cultural stereotypes. Media literacy can improve cultural understanding of people in the Middle East and through the Arab world.
International Media Literacy
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Media Literacy Now Rhode Island..(2018,August).Media Literacy Now Rhode Island: Recommendations to RIDE .
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.
- Julie Coiro, Wendy Espinoza Cotta, Theresa Deeney, Jay Fogleman, Annice Correia Gabel..(2018,).Advancing a Shared Understanding of Personalized Learning .
- Renee Hobbs and Lourdes Smith..(2018,).Digital Authorship: Issues and Implications for Educators Primer: Massachusetts Reading Association,.
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.
- ..(2018,).Mind Over Media Finnish Lesson Plans - Sujmmary in English .
- Renee Hobbs & Sait Tuzel..(2017,January).Teacher Motivations for Digital and Media Literacy: An Examination of Turkish Educators British Journal of Educational Technology,7 - 22.
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Teaching and Learning in a Post-Truth World Educational Leadership,.
- Branson, S. Clayton, K. & Murphy, A. ..(2017,).DigiURI Blog: From PD to Practice. .
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,May).When teens create the news: Examining the impact of PBS News Hour Student Reporting Labs Journalism Education,61-73.
- University of Rhode Island..(2014,February).Graduate Certificate in Digital Literacy University of Rhode Island.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K. Friesem, J. & Moen, M. ..(2013,August).Evaluation of PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs University of Rhode Island.
- Renee Hobbs, Nuala Cabral, Aggie Ebrahimi, Jiwon Yoon & Rawia Al-Humaidan ..(2011,June).Field-Based Teacher Education in Elementary Media Literacy as a Means to Promote Global Understanding Action in Teacher Education,144 - 156.