Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
Examine the many different ways librarians are using YouTube to serve patrons and communities
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students build social, emotional and cognitive skills by using a six-stage process of collaborative media production
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,April).“A most mischievous word”: Neil Postman’s approach to propaganda education Misinformation Review,.
- Hobbs, R. et al..(2021,January).NCTE Task Force on Critical Media Literacy NCTE.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,January).Media Literacy in Action ,
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.
- Yonty Friesem..(2020,October).Teaching Media Production Online During a Pandemic Media Education Lab.
- Fortuna, C., Clapp, S., Unger, J., & Hobbs, R...(2020,).BUILDING A LEARNING COMMUNITY: REPORT OF THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL MEDIA LITERACY CONFERENCE .
- Renee Hobbs..(2020,).Mind Over Media: Propaganda Education for a Digital Age W.W. Norton,
- Salome Apkhazishvili..(2020,).My Path to Become a Media Educator E D M U N D S . M U S K I E S U M M E R I N T E R N S H I P ◙ C L A S S O F 2 0 2 0.
- Renee Hobbs and Paul Mihailidis (Eds)..(2019,).The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy ,
- Renee Hobbs..(2019,).Transgression as Creative Freedom and Creative Control in the Media Production Classroom International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education,.
- Renee Hobbs, Liz Deslauriers and Pam Steager..(2019,).The Library Screen Scene ,
- Julie Coiro, Elizabeth Dobler and Karen Pelekis..(2019,).From Curiosity to Deeper Learning ,