Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
AN INFORMATION LITERACY RESOURCE BASED ON THE ACRL FRAMEWORK
DATE: MONDAY AUGUST 10
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students build social, emotional and cognitive skills by using a six-stage process of collaborative media production
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.
- Fortuna, C., Clapp, S., Unger, J., & Hobbs, R...(2020,).BUILDING A LEARNING COMMUNITY: REPORT OF THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL MEDIA LITERACY CONFERENCE .
- Renee Hobbs..(2020,).Mind Over Media: Propaganda Education for a Digital Age W.W. Norton,
- Salome Apkhazishvili..(2020,).My Path to Become a Media Educator E D M U N D S . M U S K I E S U M M E R I N T E R N S H I P ◙ C L A S S O F 2 0 2 0.
- Hobbs, R., Kanizaj, I. & Pereira, L. ..(2019,).Digital Literacy and Propaganda Medijske studije 10(19) ,.
- Renee Hobbs and Paul Mihailidis (Eds)..(2019,).The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy ,
- Renee Hobbs..(2019,).Transgression as Creative Freedom and Creative Control in the Media Production Classroom International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education,.
- Renee Hobbs, Liz Deslauriers and Pam Steager..(2019,).The Library Screen Scene ,
- Julie Coiro, Elizabeth Dobler and Karen Pelekis..(2019,).From Curiosity to Deeper Learning ,
- Renee Hobbs, Editor..(2018,).The Routledge Companion to Media Education, Copyright and Fair Use Routledge,New York
- Media Education Lab..(2018,).Mind Over Media: Analyzing Contemporary Propaganda Lesson Plans .
- Renee Hobbs and Julie Coiro ..(2018,).Design Features of a Professional Development Program in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,.