Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students build social, emotional and cognitive skills by using a six-stage process of collaborative media production
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs (Ed)..(2016,).Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative Temple University Press,Philadelphia
- Renee Hobbs & Silke Grafe..(2015,).YouTube Pranking Across Cultures First Monday,1 - 15.
- Hans Martens & Renee Hobbs..(2015,).How Media Literacy Supports Civic Engagement in a Digital Age Atlantic Journal of Communication,120 - 137.
- Renee Hobbs & Sandra McGee ..(2014,December).Teaching About Propaganda: An Examination of the Historical Roots of Media Literacy Journal of Media Literacy Education ,.
- David Cooper Moore, Katie Donnelly & Renee Hobbs..(2014,).Media and Information Literacy Integration at Mark Day School Media Education Lab.
- RobbGrieco, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2013,July).A Field Guide to Media Literacy Education in the United States .
- Renee Hobbs..(2013,).The Blurring of Art, Journalism and Advocacy I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society,.
- Renee Hobbs & David Cooper Moore ..(2013,).Discovering Media Literacy: Digital Media and Popular Culture in Elementary School Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,March).Empowering learners with digital and media literacy. Knowledge Quest ,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,).Digital and Media Literacy: Connecting Classroom and Culture Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA