Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
After 20 years, it's still the most popular resource we offer! A comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Examine the many different ways librarians are using YouTube to serve patrons and communities
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2013,).The Blurring of Art, Journalism and Advocacy I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,March).Empowering learners with digital and media literacy. Knowledge Quest ,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,).Digital and Media Literacy: Connecting Classroom and Culture Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,December).Voices on Antisemitism: A Podcast Series United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Digital and Media Literacy: A Plan of Action The Aspen Institute,Washington DC
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning ,
- Renee Hobbs & Amy Petersen Jensen..(2009,).The past, present and future of media literacy education Journal of Media Literacy Education,1 - 11.
- Renee Hobbs..(2007,).Reading the Media: Media literacy in High School English ,https://digitalauthorshipuri.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/hobbs-reading-the-media-2007-book1.pdf