Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students build social, emotional and cognitive skills by using a six-stage process of collaborative media production
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Research and Scholarship
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.
- Julie Coiro, Wendy Espinoza Cotta, Theresa Deeney, Jay Fogleman, Annice Correia Gabel..(2018,).Advancing a Shared Understanding of Personalized Learning .
- Renee Hobbs & Sait Tuzel..(2017,January).Teacher Motivations for Digital and Media Literacy: An Examination of Turkish Educators British Journal of Educational Technology,7 - 22.
- Branson, S. Clayton, K. & Murphy, A. ..(2017,).DigiURI Blog: From PD to Practice. .
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Teaching and Learning in a Post-Truth World Educational Leadership,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,May).When teens create the news: Examining the impact of PBS News Hour Student Reporting Labs Journalism Education,61-73.
- University of Rhode Island..(2014,February).Graduate Certificate in Digital Literacy University of Rhode Island.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K. Friesem, J. & Moen, M. ..(2013,August).Evaluation of PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs University of Rhode Island.
- Renee Hobbs, Nuala Cabral, Aggie Ebrahimi, Jiwon Yoon & Rawia Al-Humaidan ..(2011,June).Field-Based Teacher Education in Elementary Media Literacy as a Means to Promote Global Understanding Action in Teacher Education,144 - 156.
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,). How do Girls Experience an Online Game for Media Literacy?: A Research Proposal .