Freedom of expression and social responsibility are key dimensions of citizenship. Democracies rely on people who are capable of self-governance and who are not merely spectators of a political sideshow. Media literacy education helps students become critical thinkers, encouraging them to become skeptical about political messages without becoming cynical about them. By constructing media messages, working collaboratively and participating in meaningful dialogue about social and political issues, students develop the ability to advocate for themselves and their communities, activating real citizenship skills.
Media, Youth and Civic Engagement
After 20 years, it's still the most popular resource we offer! A comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Examine the many different ways librarians are using YouTube to serve patrons and communities
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,). How do Girls Experience an Online Game for Media Literacy?: A Research Proposal .
- Kelly Mendoza, K., Pereira, T. Xu, W., & Yoon, J...(2007,).Seeing through the Blog: A Case Study of the Scarsdale Current Events Blog .
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,).Connecting the Literature on Girls and the Internet to Evaluation Ideas for My Pop Studio .
- Henry Cohn-Geltner..(2007,).An examination of the impact of media literacy programs on reengaging high school dropouts in the academic process .
- Jiwon Yoon..(2007,).Media Education: Benefits for Students and Teachers at Alternative High Schools .
- Renee Hobbs, Paul Folkemer & Katie Donnelly..(2007,).Teens Blog the News .
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,January).Does Media Literacy Work? An Empirical Study of Learning How to Analyze Advertisements Advertising and Society Review ,1-28.
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,).A Review of School-based Initiatives in Media Literacy American Behavioral Scientist,48-59.
- Friesem, Y..(2017,).The media production hive: Using media education for differentiated instruction. Media Education- Studies, Research, Best Practice, 8(1), 123-140. doi:10.14605/MED811708,.