How can we bring media literacy competencies to 350 million Americans? How can the global community of media literacy educators better share knowledge and advance the practice of media literacy around the world? Critical thinking and communication skills about mass media, popular culture and digital media connect the classroom to the culture. Through law and policy, innovative educational programs, and grassroots organizing, we help tell the story of how media literacy educators are making contributions to the ongoing development of culture and society.
Media Literacy Advocacy
After 20 years, it's still the most popular resource we offer! A comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Examine the many different ways librarians are using YouTube to serve patrons and communities
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,January).Strengthening Media Education in the Twenty-first Century: Opportunities for the State of Pennsylvania Arts Education Policy Review,13-45.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2005,January).The State of Media Literacy Education Journal of Communication ,p. 865-871.
- Hobbs, R...(2005,).What's News? Educational Leadership ,71-76.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Media Literacy, General Semantics, and K-12 Education ETC: A Review of General Semantics,24-28.
- Hobbs, R...(2004,January).Analyzing Advertising in the English Language Arts Classroom: A Quasi-Experimental Study. SIMILE: Studies in Media & Information Literacy Education,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2004,).Literacy in the Information Age (Translation) Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 122-140.