How can we bring media literacy competencies to 350 million Americans? How can the global community of media literacy educators better share knowledge and advance the practice of media literacy around the world? Critical thinking and communication skills about mass media, popular culture and digital media connect the classroom to the culture. Through law and policy, innovative educational programs, and grassroots organizing, we help tell the story of how media literacy educators are making contributions to the ongoing development of culture and society.
Media Literacy Advocacy
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
A comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(2016,July).Experience, immersion and critical distance in VR/AR in education Ed Tech Mindset,24 - 26.
- Valenza, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2016,April).School librarians as stakeholders in the children and media community: A dialogue Journal of Children and Media 10:2, 147-155, DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2015.1127841,.
- Kiili, C., Coiro, J. & Hämäläinen, J. ..(2016,April).An online inquiry tool to support the exploration of controversial issues on the Internet Journal of Literacy and Technology 17,1-17.
- Coiro, J., Castek, J. & Quinn, D...(2016,April).Personal inquiry and online research: Connecting learners in ways that matter. The Reading Teacher 69,483 - 492.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K. & Niedbala, M. ..(2016,March).The Curriculum Materials Library as a Hub of Resources, Literacy Practices, and Collaboration: Expanding the Role of the Library Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults,7(1), 1 - 17.
- Tiede, J., Grafe, S. & Hobbs, R...(2015,August).Pedagogical Media Competencies of Preservice Teachers in Germany and the United States: Comparative Analysis of Theory/Practice Peabody Journal of Education 90,533 - 545.
- Hobbs, R. and Moore, David Cooper..(2014,December).Cineykyd: Exploring the Origins of Youth Production Journal of Media Literacy Education,24 - 34.
- Hobbs, R. He, H. & RobbGrieco, M...(2014,November).Seeing, Believing and Learning to be Skeptical: Supporting Language Learning Through Advertising Analysis Activities TESOL Journal,.
- Provorova, L. ..(2013,March).A Story of Conflict and Collaboration: Media Literacy, Video Production and Disadvantaged Youth .
- Hobbs, R. Yildiz, F. ..(2013,December).DİJİTAL ÇAĞDA MEDYA OKURYAZARLIĞINI YENİDEN TANIMLAMAK .
- Hobbs, R., Donnelly, K., Friesem, J. & Moen, M...(2013,November).Learning to engage: how positive attitudes about the news, media literacy, and video production contribute t Educational Media International,.
- Hobbs, R...(2013,).Improvization and Strategic Risk Taking in Informal Learning with Digital Media Literacy Learning, Media and Technology 38,182 - 197.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K., Provorova, L., Tierney, T. & Hobbs, R...(2012,September).First Star URI RAM Academy Kingston, RI: Media Education Lab.,.