Urban schools face important issues when it comes to teaching and learning media literacy skills. The Media Education Lab has partenered with the Russell Byers Charter Elementary School in Philadelphia to better understand the role of mass media, popular culture and technology in the lives of young children from an urban community. We're moving the Summer Institute in Digital Literacy to Chicago in 2020 to better develop networks of urban educators who share our passion for digital and media literacy.
Media Literacy in Urban Schools
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Explore conspiracy theories using the power of digital annotation
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- ..(2022,August).The Routledge Handbook of Media Education Futures Post-Pandemic. ,
- ..(2022,May).Medialogues on Propaganda, Final Report .
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,April).“A most mischievous word”: Neil Postman’s approach to propaganda education Misinformation Review,.
- Media Education Lab..(2021,October).Media Literacy in Rhode Island .
- Hobbs, R. et al..(2021,January).NCTE Task Force on Critical Media Literacy NCTE.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,January).Media Literacy in Action ,
- Friesem, Y., Coiro, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2021,).Digital Learning Anytime and Real Time Norton,
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.
- Yonty Friesem..(2020,October).Teaching Media Production Online During a Pandemic Media Education Lab.
- Renee Hobbs..(2020,).Mind Over Media: Propaganda Education for a Digital Age W.W. Norton,
- Salome Apkhazishvili..(2020,).My Path to Become a Media Educator Muskie Internship, 2020.
- Fortuna, C., Clapp, S., Unger, J., & Hobbs, R...(2020,).BUILDING A LEARNING COMMUNITY: REPORT OF THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL MEDIA LITERACY CONFERENCE .
- Renee Hobbs and Paul Mihailidis (Eds)..(2019,).The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy ,
- Renee Hobbs..(2019,).Transgression as Creative Freedom and Creative Control in the Media Production Classroom International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education,.