Urban schools face important issues when it comes to teaching and learning media literacy skills. The Media Education Lab has partenered with the Russell Byers Charter Elementary School in Philadelphia to better understand the role of mass media, popular culture and technology in the lives of young children from an urban community.
Media Literacy in Urban Schools
Join us for a free online webinar on Monday, October 21 at 9 AM EST
Support reflection on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Explore the crowdsourced gallery of over 2,500 examples from around the world
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Books for young learners: It's never to early to be smart about media!
Understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs and Paul Mihailidis (Eds)..(2019,).The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy ,
- Renee Hobbs..(2019,).Transgression as Creative Freedom and Creative Control in the Media Production Classroom International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education,.
- Renee Hobbs, Liz Deslauriers and Pam Steager..(2019,).The Library Screen Scene ,
- Julie Coiro, Elizabeth Dobler and Karen Pelekis..(2019,).From Curiosity to Deeper Learning ,
- Renee Hobbs, Editor..(2018,).The Routledge Companion to Media Education, Copyright and Fair Use Routledge,New York
- Media Education Lab..(2018,).Mind Over Media: Analyzing Contemporary Propaganda Lesson Plans .
- Renee Hobbs and Julie Coiro ..(2018,).Design Features of a Professional Development Program in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,.
- Renee Hobbs, Christian Seyferth-Zapf & Silke Grafe ..(2018,).Using Virtual Exchange to Advance Media Literacy Competencies through Analysis of Contemporary Propaganda, Journal of Media Literacy Education,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Create to Learn ,
- Tuzel, S. & Hobbs, R..(2017,).The Use of Social Media and Popular Culture to Advance Cross-Cultural Understanding Communicar,63 - 72.
- Renee Hobbs, Maria Ranieri, Sandra Markus, Carolyn Fortuna, Mia Zamora & Julie Coiro..(2017,).Digital Literacy in Higher Education: A Report Providence RI: Media Education Lab..