Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Culver, S.H...(2008,June).Media Education Lab End of Year Report Media Education Lab, Temple University..
- Hobbs, R...(2008,March).Copyright Confusion is Shortchanging our Students Education Week ,26, 29.
- Hobbs, R. and Rowe, J...(2008,).Creative Remixing and Digital Learning: Developing an Online Media Literacy Tool for Girls Digital literacy: Tools and methodologies for an information society,230 - 241.
- Renee Hobbs ..(2008,).Media Literacy Entry in Encyclopedia International Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents and the Media,.
- Hobbs, R...(2007,October).Approaches to Instruction and Teacher Education in Media Literacy Higher Education Research & Evaluation 1(China), 58-64.,.
- Hobbs, R...(2006,January).Non-Optimal Uses of Video in the Classroom Learning, Media and Technology,45-50.
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Primack B.A., Gold M.A., Switzer G.E., Hobbs R., Land S.R., & Fine M.J...(2006,January).Development and Validation of a Smoking Media Literacy Scale Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine,369-374.
- Primack, B.A., Hobbs, R., Switzer, G.E., Land, S., Fine, M.F. & Gold, M...(2006,January).Associations Between Media Literacy and Adolescent Smoking Journal of Adolescent Health,93-94.