Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs ..(2008,).Media Literacy Entry in Encyclopedia International Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents and the Media,.
- Hobbs, R...(2007,October).Approaches to Instruction and Teacher Education in Media Literacy Higher Education Research & Evaluation 1(China), 58-64.,.
- Hobbs, R...(2006,January).Non-Optimal Uses of Video in the Classroom Learning, Media and Technology,45-50.
- Hobbs, R., Broder, S., Pope, H. & Rowe, J...(2006,January).How Adolescent Girls Interpret Weight-Loss Advertising Health Education Research,719-730.
- Primack B.A., Gold M.A., Switzer G.E., Hobbs R., Land S.R., & Fine M.J...(2006,January).Development and Validation of a Smoking Media Literacy Scale Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine,369-374.
- Primack, B.A., Hobbs, R., Switzer, G.E., Land, S., Fine, M.F. & Gold, M...(2006,January).Associations Between Media Literacy and Adolescent Smoking Journal of Adolescent Health,93-94.