Members of the Media Education Lab explore the power of youth and community media production, working with our neighbors near and far to create learning experiences where young people experience the creativity of digital authorship through advancing collaboration, teamwork, respect and empathy.
Youth and Community Media Production
Bring media literacy and active listening to middle school, high school, college and adult learners
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- ..(2023,August).Media Literacy in Maynard, Massachusetts .
- ..(2023,July).Training the Trainers in Media Literacy Police Chief ,22 - 29.
- ..(2022,August).The Routledge Handbook of Media Education Futures Post-Pandemic. ,
- ..(2022,May).Medialogues on Propaganda, Final Report .
- Hobbs, R., Moen, M. Tang, R. & Steager, P. ..(2022 ,December).Measuring the implementation of media literacy instructional practices in schools: community stakeholder perspectives Learning, Media & Technology,.
- Hobbs, R., Moen, M. Tang, R. & Steager, P. ..(2022 ,December).Measuring the implementation of media literacy statewide: a validation study Educational Media International,.
- ..(2022 ,).How Propaganda Constructs the Enemy Social Education 86(6),.
- ..(2022,).Postman’s legacy in a ‘post-truth’ landscape of algorithmic propaganda ETC: A Review of General Semantics,4 - 17.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,April).“A most mischievous word”: Neil Postman’s approach to propaganda education Misinformation Review,.
- Media Education Lab..(2021,October).Media Literacy in Rhode Island .
- Hobbs, R. et al..(2021,January).NCTE Task Force on Critical Media Literacy NCTE.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,January).Media Literacy in Action ,
- Friesem, Y., Coiro, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2021,).Digital Learning Anytime and Real Time Norton,
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.