The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power.
Webinars and Online Learning
Long before the coronavirus crisis brought online learning to the fore, the Media Education Lab has pioneered the use of webinars and online discussion groups to support our global knowledge community.At the EVENTS page, you will find upcoming and past webinars, community gatherings, conferences and professional development programs.
DIGIURI MEDIA CLUB
Our signature online community is DigiURI Book and Media Club, a monthly gathering to discuss books, films, podcasts and videos.
EARN A MEDIA LITERACY BADGE FROM THE MEDIA EDUCATION LAB!
Demonstrate the development of your knowledge and skills as a member of our online professional learning community! To receive your badge, participate in 5 of the 12 Media Literacy Webinars sponsored by the Media Education Lab hosted by Frank Baker and Renee Hobbs. After you have participated in 5 Media Literacy programs, compose a brief email to Renee Hobbs at email@example.com. In your email, describe some key ideas from the programs you participated in. Explain how you can apply what you learned to your work or life. You will be issued your badge within 14 days of submitting your email. Check out a sample reflection from Dave Jablonsky, the first recipient of the Media Literacy Badge!
Visit the EVENTS page to find upcoming webinars featuring Frank Baker and Renee Hobbs.
These webinars are eligible for the Media Literacy Badge:
January 2021 - The Big Game
February 2021 - Reading the Pictures
March 2021 - Tournaments of Value: Teaching the Oscars
April 2021 - Vaccine Propaganda
May 2021 Best Media Literacy Books
September 2021 Analyzing the Visuals of 9/11 Anniversary
November 2021 Teaching the Holocaust in the Age of Disinformation
December 2021 Toy Marketing
OUR RECENT PAST
Some of our key online programs have included:
- Media Literacy as National Defense, a three-part webinar exploring the role of media literacy in the context of national security and global diplomacy
- Media Literacy in Higher Education, a monthly webinar series that promotes discussion and dialogue among media literacy education in higher education
- Virtually Viral Hangouts, a program that provides emotional support, dialogue and learning during the covid-19 self-isolation;
- The Virus of Racism, a discussion series on racial justice and equity;
- Media Literacy Entrepreneurs, a discussion series on building careers in media literacy education' and
- Media Literacy Webinars, which offer professional development workshops that model best practices in media literacy education. In 2021, this program is co-sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English.