Media Education Lab researchers developed pioneering "gold standard" measures of the media literacy competencies of adolescent learners, looking at their ability to analyze news and advertising. Media literacy learning outcomes can be measured through qualititative and quantitative research. By creative approaches to observing, documenting, assessing and measuring student learning, the Media Education Lab improves the quality of media literacy education.
Measuring Media Literacy
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Research and Scholarship
- ..(2022,May).Medialogues on Propaganda, Final Report .
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,April).“A most mischievous word”: Neil Postman’s approach to propaganda education Misinformation Review,.
- Media Education Lab..(2021,October).Media Literacy in Rhode Island .
- Hobbs, R. et al..(2021,January).NCTE Task Force on Critical Media Literacy NCTE.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,January).Media Literacy in Action ,
- Friesem, Y., Coiro, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2021,).Digital Learning Anytime and Real Time Norton,
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.
- Yonty Friesem..(2020,October).Teaching Media Production Online During a Pandemic Media Education Lab.
- Fortuna, C., Clapp, S., Unger, J., & Hobbs, R...(2020,).BUILDING A LEARNING COMMUNITY: REPORT OF THE NORTHEAST REGIONAL MEDIA LITERACY CONFERENCE .
- Renee Hobbs..(2020,).Mind Over Media: Propaganda Education for a Digital Age W.W. Norton,
- Salome Apkhazishvili..(2020,).My Path to Become a Media Educator E D M U N D S . M U S K I E S U M M E R I N T E R N S H I P ◙ C L A S S O F 2 0 2 0.
- Renee Hobbs and Paul Mihailidis (Eds)..(2019,).The International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy ,
- Renee Hobbs..(2019,).Transgression as Creative Freedom and Creative Control in the Media Production Classroom International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education,.
- Renee Hobbs, Liz Deslauriers and Pam Steager..(2019,).The Library Screen Scene ,