We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us.
Understand how copyright and fair use supports digital learning
Today, it's more important than ever before to understand the scope of your rights and responsibilities as a digital author. That's why Renee Hobbs wrote the book, Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning. Since its publication, it's become a best-seller, offering essential reading for teachers, students and others who are advancing digital and media literacy education. At this website, you can:
- Read this review of Renee's book, published in Composition Studies by Kerrie Carsey
- Order the book online and read it!
- Access lesson plans for college students
- Watch copright education videos, including our famous Schoolhouse rock style music videos, What's Copyright? and User Rights, Section 107
- Download slides for offering a staff development program on copyright and fair use
- Watch video case studies of teachers whose informed perspective on copyright enables them to offer powerful media literacy learning experiences to students
- Access a model school copyright policy you can use as a template for your school
- Read the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education to understand your rights and responsibilities when you (or your students) use copyrighted materials for learning purposes
MORE RESOURCES FROM THE MEDIA EDUCATION LAB