Media Education Lab researchers developed pioneering "gold standard" measures of the media literacy competencies of adolescent learners, looking at their ability to analyze news and advertising. Media literacy learning outcomes can be measured through qualititative and quantitative research. By creative approaches to observing, documenting, assessing and measuring student learning, the Media Education Lab improves the quality of media literacy education.
Measuring Media Literacy
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs and Julie Coiro ..(2018,).Design Features of a Professional Development Program in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,.
- Renee Hobbs, Christian Seyferth-Zapf & Silke Grafe ..(2018,).Using Virtual Exchange to Advance Media Literacy Competencies through Analysis of Contemporary Propaganda, Journal of Media Literacy Education,.
- Tuzel, S. & Hobbs, R..(2017,).The Use of Social Media and Popular Culture to Advance Cross-Cultural Understanding Communicar,63 - 72.
- Renee Hobbs, Maria Ranieri, Sandra Markus, Carolyn Fortuna, Mia Zamora & Julie Coiro..(2017,).Digital Literacy in Higher Education: A Report Providence RI: Media Education Lab..
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Teach the Conspiracies Knowledge Quest,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Create to Learn Introduction to Digital Literacy,
- Renee Hobbs & Julie Coiro..(2016,May).Everyone Learns From Everyone: Collaborative and Interdisciplinary Professional Development in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,623 - 629.
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,March).Lessons in copyright activism: K-12 education and the DMCA 1201 exemption rulemaking process. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education,5- 63.