- Certificate & Graduate Credits
The Media Education Lab is partnering with Central Michigan University for graduate students who wish to take the fully online MediaEd Institute 2024 as a 3-credit graduate course.
Create Your Own Path to Media Literacy: A Leadership Development Program
January 28 to March 16, 2024
Instructor of Record: Professor Troy Hicks
Course Description: In this professional learning experience, we come together to share best practices and have a place for safe and courageous discussion about media literacy practices within a variety of learning contexts. You will follow a variety of asynchronous learning pathways and have the opportunity to participate in synchronous online learning, too, in order to develop your own action plan in media literacy where you will connect, access, analyze and evaluate, create, reflect, and act with learners in your context.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course, students will be able to
- Gain knowledge of a variety of advanced and specialized media education practices
- Reflect on why and how media education instructional practices can be valuable for learners of all ages
- Analyze and evaluate media messages from various perspectives and values
- Create a set of work products you can use in your own context
- Critical Media Analysis: Participants will learn to critically analyze media content, including news, advertising, and entertainment, to identify biases, misinformation, and persuasive techniques commonly used in media production.
- Media Literacy Pedagogy: Educators will develop effective strategies and pedagogical approaches for teaching media literacy in diverse educational settings, enabling them to design engaging lessons and resources for their students.
- Collaborative Learning and Networking: Participants will actively engage in dialogue and collaboration with fellow educators, activists, and community leaders, fostering a supportive and diverse professional network for sharing ideas and best practices in media literacy education.
- Media Production Skills: Educators will gain practical skills in media production, including video and digital content creation, to empower them to use multimedia tools as a means of promoting media literacy and engaging their students in active learning.
- Applied Leadership: Educators will collaborate with a partner to create a tangible product or resource that advances their leadership in media literacy education. This will allow them to apply learning in a real-world context.
Course Requirements: The program includes a mix of synchronous online sessions (or viewing and reflecting recordings), asynchronous learning pathways, and collaboration and creative activities that help you integrate media literacy and leadership strategies into your own work or life context.
Real Time Learning: Weekly Synchronous Online Meetings (12 Hours)
Two Hours on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 PM ET
Design Studio: Individual or Partner Meeting with Mentor (1 Hour)
One hour, time and day to be determined by participant and mentor
Anytime Learning: Asynchronous Online Work (23 Hours)
Twenty-three hours of self-paced, independent work including readings, videos, simple media production activities, and participation in threaded discussions.
Evaluation Criteria: Participants will generate a complete action plan with a strong theme (10%), learning objectives (10%), annotated list of texts (10%), and at learning activities (40%). The unit will identify a key topic in digital and media literacy in their own context (10%), support media literacy learning in their context (10%), and integrate applied leadership standards (10%). The action plan will include adequate research and references, leading to a piece of writing composed in a professional tone and suitable for use in one’s own instructional setting.
Register for Graduate Credits: First, you need to register for the MediaEd Institute $399 here.
Second, you will need to apply as a non-degree graduate at Central Michigan University. All details will be shared once you register and indicate your interest in graduate credits.
Costs: $550/credit hour x 3 + $50 (registration fee for CMU) = $1,700 + $399 Registration for the Institute = $2,099 total.