A combination of "tool competence" and cognitive skills are needed.
Newsweek's Media Literacy Skills Builder
Help students understand advertising, media ownership, and issues of representation.
Analyzing the media
- Assessing your communication skills
- The media literacy remote control
- Five critical questions
- Media use motives
- CREATE: Keep a media journal
- Poetry and advertising
- Attitudes about advertising
- CREATE: Analyze two ads
Who owns the media?
- Understanding media economics
- Analyzing leads on AOL-Time Warner merger
- Cartoon merger
- What's in a Letter?
- CREATE: Write a letter to the editor
- Manhood on the mat
- TV's skin-deep take on race
- The culture of celebrity
- Four by four on fame
- CREATE: An interview and audio essay
To order, contact:
Newsweek Education Program
1 (800) 526-2595