How do the emotional and aesthetic dimensions of images affect learning?
Media Education Lab in the Press
We're proud to share press coverage about media literacy education, interviews with members of our team, and reviews of the Media Education Lab's projects.
2018 - 2019 PRESS COVERAGE
- EdSurge. (May, 2019). 9 Things Every Teacher Should Know about Using Listicles in Class
- Generocity (April, 2019). Propaganda is the cause and the cure for what ails us.
- Columbia Journalism Review (March 2019). On media literacy and journalism
- New York Times (December 14, 2018) In France, School Lessons Ask: Which Twitter Post Should You Trust?
- UW Daily (December 4, 2018). Propaganda: The Cause and Cure of Polarization?
- Los Angeles Times (October 12, 2018). Devin Nunes is attacking his district's newspaper before the midterm election. It's a page from Trump's playbook.
- Education Week (January 23, 2019). Media Literacy Isn't Coming to Save Us
- Agencia Brasilia, Febrary 2019, On fake news in Brazil
- Momentum (URI Research). Building Digital Literacy.
- Education Dive (August 15, 2018). How to Teach 9/11 When Most Students were Born after the Tragedy.
- Education Week (August 2, 2018). Facebook Pushes Digital Literacy with New Lesson Library.
- Education Week (September 22, 2018). From Digital Divide to Innovation Divide.
- Slate (May 9, 2018). A New Program has Helped Bring Media Litieracy to Ukraine.
- Respekt.cz (Aug 26, 2018). Propojme učebnu s obývákem. Czech Republic.
Novascuola (May 7, 2018). Letramento midiático nos ajuda a conectar com o mundo. Brazil.
Novascuola (September 25, 2018). Educação Midiática trabalha competências essenciais para o cidadão do século 21
2018 - 2017 FEATURED PRESS COVERAGE
- BBC News, January 4, 2018. Interview with Renee Hobbs.
- Rolling Stone (France). January 3, 2018. Bad News : Un jeu en ligne pour apprendre à (dé)monter des Fake-News.
- Project Info Lit. Interview with Renee Hobbs.
- U.S. Embassy, Italy. Renee Hobbs on Media Literacy vs Fake News.
- Evens Foundation. Renee Hobbs presentation, Teaching the Conspiracies, November 13, 2017, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- Learning and Media Confernce. January, 2018. What is Media Literacy?
- Le Monde, Paris (June 17, 2018). De quelle éducation aux médias avons-nous besoin ?
- Education Week (June 25, 2018). Common Sense Media Overhauls Digital Citizenship Curriculum.
- Providence Business News (June 6 2018) Five Questions with Renee Hobbs.
- Slate (May 9, 2018) A New Program has Helped Bring Media Literacy to Ukraine.
Nova Escola, Brazil (May 7, 2018). Letramento midiático nos ajuda a conectar com o mundo.
- Media Policy Project, London School of Economics (December 15, 2017). Critical Digital Literacy: 10 Key Readings for our Distrustful Media Age
- Education Week (September 7, 2017). Media Literacy for Empowerment and Protection: Q&A with Renee Hobbs.
- Educational Leadership (November, 2017). Teaching and Learning in a Post Truth World.
- Street Roots, Portland OR (March 16, 2017). Distracted and Distractable: The Rise of Propaganda.
- International Communication Association, Children Adolescents and Media Division. Spotlight on Renee Hobbs. https://ica-cam.org/in-the-spotlight/renee-hobbs/
- EdSurge (May 17, 2017). Using Videos to Manage a Rowdy Classroom: Smart, Constructive or Simply Lazy?
- Education Dive (October 24, 2017). Schools Fight Fake News through Media Literacy.
- The Breeze, James Madison University (April 5, 2018). Gender Stereotypes Inhibit Self-Expression.
- Project InfoLit. Media and Meaning-Making in the Fake News Age. http://www.projectinfolit.org/renee-hobbs-smart-talk.html
- The Ringer (January 12, 2017). Decoding Facebook's Solution to Fake News.
- QuadAngles, URI The Age of Disinformation.
- Crash Course on Media Literacy (10-part video series). Multiple quotations in the series:
- Create to Learn. Review by Holly Willis, Afterimage.
- Discovering Media Literacy. Review by Dana Robinson, Medium.
- Discovering Media Literacy. Review by SIMUSEE.
- Digital and Media Literacy. Review by John Robinson.
- Digital and Media Literacy. Review by Linda Pincham, Middle Ground.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Phil Goerner, School Library Journal.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Kenneth Martin, National Writing Project.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by Kerrie Carsey, Composition Studies.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by H.Victoria Bryant, International Journal of Communication.
- Copyright Clarity. Review by N.P. Fannenstiel.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative, Review by Antonio Lopez, Media Education Research Journal
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Alessandro Soriani, Università di Bologna, Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review, European Journal of Communication.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Trace Lahey, Teachers College Record.
- Exploring the Roots of Digital and Media Literacy through Personal Narrative. Review by Katherine Daley-Bailey, Reflecting Teaching.
- Reading the Media. Review by David Bruce, Teachers College Record.
- Reading the Media. Review by Amy Petersen Jensen, Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy.
- Reading the Media. Review by Myrna Goldstein in Issues in Applied Linguistics.
- Mind Rocket News. Renee Hobbs was interviewed about the future of digital and media literacy education while at SXSWEdu in Austin Texas in March 2015.
- Educators Using Twitter. A page one story in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the use of Twitter in education features Renee Hobbs on why Twitter is a powerful tool for teaching and learning.
- Parenting: Kids Worrying about their Weight. WPVI Action News reporter Karen Rogers mentions My Pop Studio in her story about how parents can address the role of media's role in shaping expectations about body image.
- Student Media in Transition. Kendra Hurley takes a look at the changing landscape for youth media and technology programs.
- Listen and Learn. Blog focuses on the creative use of audio books as a tool for learning, literacy and the development of the imagination.
- Youth Media Reporter. Ingrid Dahl profiles the university-community partnerships for media literacy that are under development at the Media Education Lab.
- Behind the Scenes at My Pop Studio. Henry Jenkins interviews Renee Hobbs about the development of the online edutainment program.
- My Space Blurs Lines between Friends and Flacks. Great article by Stephanie Olson on CTCNet news explores how teens can learn to be media literate about the blurring of online communication and marketing.
SEE OUR NEWS PAGE FOR MORE NEWS