Education is the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume responsibility for it.
Powerful Voices for Kids Summer Media Camp
Children enrolled in RBCS are eligible to enroll in an exciting 4-week summer program running Mondays through Thursdays beginning Monday, July 6 and ending Thursday, July 30. We are also offering a Summer Scholars full-day program, beginning June 29th, for gifted students in Grades 6 and 7
RED and PURPLE Team: for children entering Grade K and Grade 1
GREENTeam: for children entering Grade 2 - 3
BLUE and ORANGE Team: for children entering Grade 4
YELLOW and SILVER Team: for children entering Grade 5
GOLD Team: for children entering Grade 6 - 7
Sample activities include:
• “Watch and Learn” – what you can learn from watching TV and movies
• “Creating Photo Stories” – using a digital camera to promote writing skills
• “Books and Movies” – learn about how books are adapted into movies
• “How the Internet Works”—a role-playing activity about online social media
• “TV Producer” – explore the genres in movies and TV shows and make your own show using simple video editing tools
• “Why Advertising Works” – learn about the tricks used to sell food and toys
• “Interview Me!” – be famous for a day and experience the thrill of being interviewed for a magazine
• “You Decide” – reading videogame reviews and deciding what makes a good game
• “Staying Safe Online” – how to protect yourself and be responsible online—and still have fun!
• “Be the News Editor” – work in a Daily News room and make decisions about what’s news
• “What’s Real about Reality TV?” – discuss how to tell what is really “real” on TV and create your own reality TV show
• “Celebrity Showdown” -- using VoiceThread.com to share interpretations of favorite celebrities, athletes and musicians
• “The Great Debaters” – pick a controversial topic, gather information and let the argument begin!
• “Storymaker” – explore what makes a good story and create one of your own to share
• “Comic Maker” – explore the world of comics and create your own