Media literacy needs to start at home. Parents can be the best teachers of media literacy. Instead of merely restricting children's media usage, parents can engage in discussions about the messages embedded in their children's favorite media and how those messages relate to the family's own values. In an age where children grow up talking with Alexa and screen use is a ubiquitous part of daily life, media literacy in the home is more important than ever before.
Media and Family
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs, Christian Seyferth-Zapf & Silke Grafe ..(2018,).Using Virtual Exchange to Advance Media Literacy Competencies through Analysis of Contemporary Propaganda, Journal of Media Literacy Education,.
- Renee Hobbs, Editor..(2018,).The Routledge Companion to Media Education, Copyright and Fair Use Routledge,New York
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Create to Learn Introduction to Digital Literacy,
- Tuzel, S. & Hobbs, R..(2017,).The Use of Social Media and Popular Culture to Advance Cross-Cultural Understanding Communicar,63 - 72.
- Renee Hobbs, Maria Ranieri, Sandra Markus, Carolyn Fortuna, Mia Zamora & Julie Coiro..(2017,).Digital Literacy in Higher Education: A Report Providence RI: Media Education Lab..
- Renee Hobbs..(2017,).Teach the Conspiracies Knowledge Quest,.
- Renee Hobbs & Julie Coiro..(2016,May).Everyone Learns From Everyone: Collaborative and Interdisciplinary Professional Development in Digital Literacy Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy,623 - 629.
- Renee Hobbs..(2016,March).Lessons in copyright activism: K-12 education and the DMCA 1201 exemption rulemaking process. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education,5- 63.
- Renee Hobbs and David Cooper Moore..(2016,).Learning Targets, Digital and Media Literacy Competencies, K-6 Media Education Lab.