"If you get in the habit of asking questions, you have a very good chance of being both successful and happy.”
2015 Summer Institute in Digital Literacy
Summer Institute in Digital Literacy, July 26 - 31, 2015
2015 Keynote Speaker: Howard Rheingold, Stanford University
- Renee Hobbs, University of Rhode Island. Watch her video introduction
- Julie Coiro, University of Rhode Island. Watch her video introduction
- Charlie Coiro, U.S. Coast Guard Leadership Development Center
- Yonty (Jonathan) Friesem, University of Rhode Island
- Mary Moen, University of Rhode Island Watch her video
- Kristin Hokanson, Independent Educational Consultant & Digital Learning Coach, Media Education Lab
- Kara Clayton, Thurston High School, Redford MI Watch her video
- David Quinn, University of Rhode Island
- Diana McMasters, Interdistrict School for Arts and Sciences (ISAAC), Connecticut
Click here to our distinguished list of workshop presenters!
Hours: Sunday 5 pm -8 pm; Monday-Thursday 8:30 am - 5 pm; Friday, 8:30-2:00pm EST. For those receiving graduate credit, you begin on Sunday at 12 noon and end at 3PM on Friday.
Location: URI CCE-Feinstein Campus, 80 Washington Street, Downtown Providence Rhode Island USA
Who Will Participate? The Summer Institute in Digital Literacy attracts a wide range of talented people, including K-12 educators, school and public librarians, college and university faculty, graduate students, researchers, ed tech entrepreneurs, media professionals, and media literacy and youth media leaders in the informal learning sector.
Registration Fee: $700. Includes program materials, opening reception, lunches and daily refreshments.
For $99, you can attend on Wednesday, July 29 to hear Howard Rheingold's keynote address and benefit from the great networking with digital literacy leaders from across the country.
Leadership Track. For returning 2014 participants, a leadership track offers specialized training in digital literacy leadership, led by Charlie Coiro. You are automatically enrolled in the 2015 Leadership Track if you participated in the 2014 program. You can choose to enroll as part of the GRADUATE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN DIGITAL LITERACY or for regular program fee. Learn more here: Leadership Track.
Graduate Certificate Program in Digital Literacy. We have launched a 4-course graduate certificate program in digital literacy at the University of Rhode Island. This program provides advanced training in digital literacy in an intense 12-month program. We received formal approval of this program on May 9, 2014 and the program has received accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. You can develop your leadership in digital literacy by participating in the Graduate Certificate Program in Digital Literacy for a total program cost of only $6,100.
During the 2015 URI Summer Institute in Digital Literacy, we will:
- Discuss and reflect on how literacy is changing as a result of media and technology and the implications of this cultural and technological shift for teaching and learning at all levels
- Examine the purpose and application of various digital tools and technologies that might be used to enhance teaching, learning, and creative response in K-12, higher education, afterschool and library settings
- Apply knowledge and skills in using digital texts, tools and technologies as demonstrated through hands-on practical creative activity
- Engage in phases of project-based inquiry and curriculum design to explore how to integrate digital literacy into existing academic programs in both formal and informal learning environments.