Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- ..(2022,August).The Routledge Handbook of Media Education Futures Post-Pandemic. ,
- ..(2022,May).Medialogues on Propaganda, Final Report .
- Hobbs, R., Moen, M. Tang, R. & Steager, P. ..(2022,December).Measuring the implementation of media literacy instructional practices in schools: community stakeholder perspectives Learning, Media & Technology,.
- ..(2022,December).How Propaganda Constructs the Enemy Social Education 86(6),.
- ..(2022,December).Postman’s legacy in a ‘post-truth’ landscape of algorithmic propaganda ETC: A Review of General Semantics,4 - 17.
- Hobbs, R., Moen, M. Tang, R. & Steager, P. ..(2022,December).Measuring the implementation of media literacy statewide: a validation study Educational Media International,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,April).“A most mischievous word”: Neil Postman’s approach to propaganda education Misinformation Review,.
- Media Education Lab..(2021,October).Media Literacy in Rhode Island .
- Hobbs, R. et al..(2021,January).NCTE Task Force on Critical Media Literacy NCTE.
- Renee Hobbs..(2021,January).Media Literacy in Action ,
- Friesem, Y., Coiro, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2021,).Digital Learning Anytime and Real Time Norton,
- Hobbs, R. ..(2020,February).Propaganda in an Age of Algorithmic Personalization: Expanding Literacy Research and Practice Reading Research Quarterly,.
- Yonty Friesem..(2020,October).Teaching Media Production Online During a Pandemic Media Education Lab.
- Renee Hobbs..(2020,).Mind Over Media: Propaganda Education for a Digital Age W.W. Norton,