With the rise of memes, sponsored content, deep fake videos, and so-called "fake news," the study of contemporary propaganda is more important than ever before. Because propaganda activates strong emotions, simplifies information, appeals to audience values, and attacks opponents, it can bypass critical thinking. Media literacy pedagogies help to counteract the power of propaganda.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs..(2013,).The Blurring of Art, Journalism and Advocacy I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,March).Empowering learners with digital and media literacy. Knowledge Quest ,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,).Digital and Media Literacy: Connecting Classroom and Culture Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,December).Voices on Antisemitism: A Podcast Series United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Digital and Media Literacy: A Plan of Action The Aspen Institute,Washington DC
- Renee Hobbs..(2010,).Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning ,
- Renee Hobbs & Amy Petersen Jensen..(2009,).The past, present and future of media literacy education Journal of Media Literacy Education,1 - 11.
- Renee Hobbs..(2007,).Reading the Media: Media literacy in High School English ,https://digitalauthorshipuri.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/hobbs-reading-the-media-2007-book1.pdf