With the rise of memes, sponsored content, deep fake videos, and so-called "fake news," the study of contemporary propaganda is more important than ever before. Because propaganda activates strong emotions, simplifies information, appeals to audience values, and attacks opponents, it can bypass critical thinking. Media literacy pedagogies help to counteract the power of propaganda.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Babad, E., Peer, A., & Hobbs, R...(2012,April).Media literacy and media bias: Are media literacy students less susceptible to non-verbal judgment biases? Psychology of Popular Media Culture,97 - 107.
- Hobbs, R. & RobbGrieco, M...(2012,November).African-American Children's Active Reasoning about Media Texts as a Precursor to Media Literacy in the United States Journal of Children and Media,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2011,September).The State of Media Literacy: A Response to Potter Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,419 - 430.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).Promoting Intellectual Curiosity with Digital and Media Literacy School Library Journal, September 6,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).It's All in the Family: Keynote Address to the International Association for Visual Literacy .
- Hobbs, R., Yoon, J. & Al-Humaidan, R. Ebrahimi, A., Cabral, N., ..(2011,August).Online Digital Media in Elementary School Journal of Middle East Media,1 - 23.
- Morris, N., Gilpin, D., Lenos, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,July).Interpretations of cigarette advertisement warning labels by Philadelphia Puerto Ricans. Journal of Health Communication,908 - 922.
- Moore, D.C...(2011,June).Asking Questions First: Navigating Popular Culture and Transgression in an Inquiry Based Media Literacy Classroom Action in Teacher Education,219 - 230.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,June).Connecting Kids with News in their Community Nieman Reports,48-52.
- Hobbs, R., Cipollone, M., Bailin, E., Moore, D.C. & Schlesinger, M...(2011,June).Young Audiences and New Authors in a Multimedia Landscape Media Education Lab.
- Moore, D.C. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,May).A Review of Admongo.gov Journal of Children and Media,221-224.
- Cappello, G., Felini, D. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,December).Reflections on Global Development in Media Literacy Education: Bridging Theory and Practice Journal of Media Literacy Education,66 - 73.
- Hobbs, Renee..(2011,December).The State of Media Literacy: A Rejoinder Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,601 - 604.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K.E. ..(2011,November).Towards a Pedagogy of Fair Use for Multimedia Composition In M.C. Rife, S. Slattery & D.N. Devoss (Eds.), Copy(write): Intellectual Property in the Writing Classroom. West Layfayette, IN: Parlor Press (pp. 275 - 294). ,.