With the rise of memes, sponsored content, deep fake videos, and so-called "fake news," the study of contemporary propaganda is more important than ever before. Because propaganda activates strong emotions, simplifies information, appeals to audience values, and attacks opponents, it can bypass critical thinking. Media literacy pedagogies help to counteract the power of propaganda.
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Books for young learners: It's never to early to be smart about media!
Research and Scholarship
- Hans Martens & Renee Hobbs..(2015,).How Media Literacy Supports Civic Engagement in a Digital Age Atlantic Journal of Communication,120 - 137.
- Renee Hobbs & Silke Grafe..(2015,).YouTube Pranking Across Cultures First Monday,1 - 15.
- Renee Hobbs & Sandra McGee ..(2014,December).Teaching About Propaganda: An Examination of the Historical Roots of Media Literacy Journal of Media Literacy Education ,.
- David Cooper Moore, Katie Donnelly & Renee Hobbs..(2014,).Media and Information Literacy Integration at Mark Day School Media Education Lab.
- RobbGrieco, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2013,July).A Field Guide to Media Literacy Education in the United States .
- Renee Hobbs..(2013,).The Blurring of Art, Journalism and Advocacy I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society,.
- Renee Hobbs & David Cooper Moore ..(2013,).Discovering Media Literacy: Digital Media and Popular Culture in Elementary School Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,March).Empowering learners with digital and media literacy. Knowledge Quest ,.
- Renee Hobbs..(2011,).Digital and Media Literacy: Connecting Classroom and Culture Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin/Sage,Thousand Oaks, CA