With the rise of memes, sponsored content, deep fake videos, and so-called "fake news," the study of contemporary propaganda is more important than ever before. Because propaganda activates strong emotions, simplifies information, appeals to audience values, and attacks opponents, it can bypass critical thinking. Media literacy pedagogies help to counteract the power of propaganda.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,). How do Girls Experience an Online Game for Media Literacy?: A Research Proposal .
- Kelly Mendoza, K., Pereira, T. Xu, W., & Yoon, J...(2007,).Seeing through the Blog: A Case Study of the Scarsdale Current Events Blog .
- Kelly Mendoza..(2007,).Connecting the Literature on Girls and the Internet to Evaluation Ideas for My Pop Studio .
- Henry Cohn-Geltner..(2007,).An examination of the impact of media literacy programs on reengaging high school dropouts in the academic process .
- Jiwon Yoon..(2007,).Media Education: Benefits for Students and Teachers at Alternative High Schools .
- Renee Hobbs, Paul Folkemer & Katie Donnelly..(2007,).Teens Blog the News .
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,January).Does Media Literacy Work? An Empirical Study of Learning How to Analyze Advertisements Advertising and Society Review ,1-28.
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,).A Review of School-based Initiatives in Media Literacy American Behavioral Scientist,48-59.
- Friesem, Y..(2017,).The media production hive: Using media education for differentiated instruction. Media Education- Studies, Research, Best Practice, 8(1), 123-140. doi:10.14605/MED811708,.