Today, children and teens are swimming in a sea of media choices, but may have few opportunities to engaged in meaningful dialogue about how media are created and how they affect our personal and social identities. We created My Pop Studio to help tween and teen girls explore issues of body image, sexuality and celebrity identification. Because media functions as agents of socialization, kids need opportunities to discuss and reflect on the values, messages and meanings conveyed through popular culture entertainment.
Girls and Media Culture
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Media Education Lab ..(,).Mind Over Media: Teaching About Propaganda (Francais) .
- Yonty Friesem..(2019,).Teaching Truth, Lies, and Accuracy in the Digital Age Journalism and Mass Communication Educator,.
- Renee Hobbs & Yonty Friesem..(2019,).The Creativity of Imitation in Remake Videos E-Learning and Digital Media,.
- Media Literacy Now Rhode Island..(2018,August).Media Literacy Now Rhode Island: Recommendations to RIDE .
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.
- Julie Coiro, Wendy Espinoza Cotta, Theresa Deeney, Jay Fogleman, Annice Correia Gabel..(2018,).Advancing a Shared Understanding of Personalized Learning .