Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Podcast explore the politics of media literacy and the pedagogy of teaching propaganda
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Media Education Lab ..(,).Mind Over Media: Teaching About Propaganda (Francais) .
- Renee Hobbs & Yonty Friesem..(2019,).The Creativity of Imitation in Remake Videos E-Learning and Digital Media,.
- Yonty Friesem..(2019,).Teaching Truth, Lies, and Accuracy in the Digital Age Journalism and Mass Communication Educator,.
- Media Literacy Now Rhode Island..(2018,August).Media Literacy Now Rhode Island: Recommendations to RIDE .
- ..(2018,).Mind Over Media Finnish Lesson Plans - Sujmmary in English .
- Renee Hobbs and Lourdes Smith..(2018,).Digital Authorship: Issues and Implications for Educators Primer: Massachusetts Reading Association,.
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.