Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Bring media literacy and active listening to middle school, high school, college and adult learners
A virtual exchange dialogue opportunity explores people's memories of September 11, 2001.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Explore conspiracy theories using the power of digital annotation
Research and Scholarship
- Media Education Lab ..(,).Mind Over Media: Teaching About Propaganda (Francais) .
- Yonty Friesem..(2019,).Teaching Truth, Lies, and Accuracy in the Digital Age Journalism and Mass Communication Educator,.
- Renee Hobbs & Yonty Friesem..(2019,).The Creativity of Imitation in Remake Videos E-Learning and Digital Media,.
- Media Literacy Now Rhode Island..(2018,August).Media Literacy Now Rhode Island: Recommendations to RIDE .
- Renee Hobbs and Lourdes Smith..(2018,).Digital Authorship: Issues and Implications for Educators Primer: Massachusetts Reading Association,.
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.
- Julie Coiro, Wendy Espinoza Cotta, Theresa Deeney, Jay Fogleman, Annice Correia Gabel..(2018,).Advancing a Shared Understanding of Personalized Learning .
- ..(2018,).Mind Over Media Finnish Lesson Plans - Sujmmary in English .