Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Media literacy instructional practices help police instructors use video to build critical thinking and communication skills
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Explore conspiracy theories using the power of digital annotation
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Friesem, Y..(2017,).The media production hive: Using media education for differentiated instruction. Media Education- Studies, Research, Best Practice, 8(1), 123-140. doi:10.14605/MED811708,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2016,July).Experience, immersion and critical distance in VR/AR in education Ed Tech Mindset,24 - 26.
- Valenza, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2016,April).School librarians as stakeholders in the children and media community: A dialogue Journal of Children and Media 10:2, 147-155, DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2015.1127841,.
- Kiili, C., Coiro, J. & Hämäläinen, J. ..(2016,April).An online inquiry tool to support the exploration of controversial issues on the Internet Journal of Literacy and Technology 17,1-17.
- Coiro, J., Castek, J. & Quinn, D...(2016,April).Personal inquiry and online research: Connecting learners in ways that matter. The Reading Teacher 69,483 - 492.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K. & Niedbala, M. ..(2016,March).The Curriculum Materials Library as a Hub of Resources, Literacy Practices, and Collaboration: Expanding the Role of the Library Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults,7(1), 1 - 17.
- Tiede, J., Grafe, S. & Hobbs, R...(2015,August).Pedagogical Media Competencies of Preservice Teachers in Germany and the United States: Comparative Analysis of Theory/Practice Peabody Journal of Education 90,533 - 545.
- Hobbs, R. and Moore, David Cooper..(2014,December).Cineykyd: Exploring the Origins of Youth Production Journal of Media Literacy Education,24 - 34.
- Hobbs, R. He, H. & RobbGrieco, M...(2014,November).Seeing, Believing and Learning to be Skeptical: Supporting Language Learning Through Advertising Analysis Activities TESOL Journal,.
- Provorova, L. ..(2013,March).A Story of Conflict and Collaboration: Media Literacy, Video Production and Disadvantaged Youth .
- Hobbs, R. Yildiz, F. ..(2013,December).DİJİTAL ÇAĞDA MEDYA OKURYAZARLIĞINI YENİDEN TANIMLAMAK .
- Hobbs, R., Donnelly, K., Friesem, J. & Moen, M...(2013,November).Learning to engage: how positive attitudes about the news, media literacy, and video production contribute t Educational Media International,.