Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
A virtual exchange dialogue opportunity explores people's memories of September 11, 2001.
Examine the many different ways librarians are using YouTube to serve patrons and communities
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Babad, E., Peer, A., & Hobbs, R...(2012,April).Media literacy and media bias: Are media literacy students less susceptible to non-verbal judgment biases? Psychology of Popular Media Culture,97 - 107.
- Hobbs, R. & RobbGrieco, M...(2012,November).African-American Children's Active Reasoning about Media Texts as a Precursor to Media Literacy in the United States Journal of Children and Media,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2011,September).The State of Media Literacy: A Response to Potter Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,419 - 430.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).Promoting Intellectual Curiosity with Digital and Media Literacy School Library Journal, September 6,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).It's All in the Family: Keynote Address to the International Association for Visual Literacy .
- Hobbs, R., Yoon, J. & Al-Humaidan, R. Ebrahimi, A., Cabral, N., ..(2011,August).Online Digital Media in Elementary School Journal of Middle East Media,1 - 23.
- Morris, N., Gilpin, D., Lenos, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,July).Interpretations of cigarette advertisement warning labels by Philadelphia Puerto Ricans. Journal of Health Communication,908 - 922.
- Moore, D.C...(2011,June).Asking Questions First: Navigating Popular Culture and Transgression in an Inquiry Based Media Literacy Classroom Action in Teacher Education,219 - 230.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,June).Connecting Kids with News in their Community Nieman Reports,48-52.
- Hobbs, R., Cipollone, M., Bailin, E., Moore, D.C. & Schlesinger, M...(2011,June).Young Audiences and New Authors in a Multimedia Landscape Media Education Lab.
- Moore, D.C. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,May).A Review of Admongo.gov Journal of Children and Media,221-224.
- Cappello, G., Felini, D. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,December).Reflections on Global Development in Media Literacy Education: Bridging Theory and Practice Journal of Media Literacy Education,66 - 73.
- Hobbs, Renee..(2011,December).The State of Media Literacy: A Rejoinder Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,601 - 604.
- Hobbs, R. & Donnelly, K.E. ..(2011,November).Towards a Pedagogy of Fair Use for Multimedia Composition In M.C. Rife, S. Slattery & D.N. Devoss (Eds.), Copy(write): Intellectual Property in the Writing Classroom. West Layfayette, IN: Parlor Press (pp. 275 - 294). ,.