Digital and media literacy education can be taught at all levels, on its own or embedded in other subjects such as English, Social Studies, Health or Language Arts. The Media Education Lab offers teacher education programs and workshops, as well as an online library of media literacy curriculum materials. Publications demonstrate how knowledge, skills and competencies develop through a variety of instructional methods that include both face-to-face and online learning.
Teaching Media Literacy
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Media literacy instructional practices help police instructors use video to build critical thinking and communication skills
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Explore conspiracy theories using the power of digital annotation
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2013,).Improvization and Strategic Risk Taking in Informal Learning with Digital Media Literacy Learning, Media and Technology 38,182 - 197.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K., Provorova, L., Tierney, T. & Hobbs, R...(2012,September).First Star URI RAM Academy Kingston, RI: Media Education Lab.,.
- Babad, E., Peer, A., & Hobbs, R...(2012,April).Media literacy and media bias: Are media literacy students less susceptible to non-verbal judgment biases? Psychology of Popular Media Culture,97 - 107.
- Hobbs, R. & RobbGrieco, M...(2012,November).African-American Children's Active Reasoning about Media Texts as a Precursor to Media Literacy in the United States Journal of Children and Media,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2011,September).The State of Media Literacy: A Response to Potter Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,419 - 430.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).Promoting Intellectual Curiosity with Digital and Media Literacy School Library Journal, September 6,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,September).It's All in the Family: Keynote Address to the International Association for Visual Literacy .
- Hobbs, R., Yoon, J. & Al-Humaidan, R. Ebrahimi, A., Cabral, N., ..(2011,August).Online Digital Media in Elementary School Journal of Middle East Media,1 - 23.
- Morris, N., Gilpin, D., Lenos, M. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,July).Interpretations of cigarette advertisement warning labels by Philadelphia Puerto Ricans. Journal of Health Communication,908 - 922.
- Moore, D.C...(2011,June).Asking Questions First: Navigating Popular Culture and Transgression in an Inquiry Based Media Literacy Classroom Action in Teacher Education,219 - 230.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,June).Connecting Kids with News in their Community Nieman Reports,48-52.
- Hobbs, R., Cipollone, M., Bailin, E., Moore, D.C. & Schlesinger, M...(2011,June).Young Audiences and New Authors in a Multimedia Landscape Media Education Lab.
- Moore, D.C. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,May).A Review of Admongo.gov Journal of Children and Media,221-224.
- Cappello, G., Felini, D. & Hobbs, R. ..(2011,December).Reflections on Global Development in Media Literacy Education: Bridging Theory and Practice Journal of Media Literacy Education,66 - 73.