Media Education Lab researchers developed pioneering "gold standard" measures of the media literacy competencies of adolescent learners, looking at their ability to analyze news and advertising. Media literacy learning outcomes can be measured through qualititative and quantitative research. By creative approaches to observing, documenting, assessing and measuring student learning, the Media Education Lab improves the quality of media literacy education.
Measuring Media Literacy
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Media Education Lab ..(,).Mind Over Media: Teaching About Propaganda (Francais) .
- Yonty Friesem..(2019,).Teaching Truth, Lies, and Accuracy in the Digital Age Journalism and Mass Communication Educator,.
- Renee Hobbs & Yonty Friesem..(2019,).The Creativity of Imitation in Remake Videos E-Learning and Digital Media,.
- Media Literacy Now Rhode Island..(2018,August).Media Literacy Now Rhode Island: Recommendations to RIDE .
- Renee Hobbs and Lourdes Smith..(2018,).Digital Authorship: Issues and Implications for Educators Primer: Massachusetts Reading Association,.
- Evanna Ratner & Yonty Friesem..(2018,).Civic media as a cultural dialogue: Arab and Jewish teachers & documentary filmmaking in Israel Journal of Media Literacy,.
- Elizaveta Friesem..(2018,).Resistance and Learning in Media & Gender Literacy Classes Media Education Studies and Research ,.