Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs R...(2010,August).News Literacy: What Works and What Doesn't Paper presentation at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, Denver CO,.
- ..(2010,June).Media Education Lab 2010 End-of-Year Report Media Education Lab.
- Spiller, K and Hobbs, R...(2010,October).Talking About Fashion's Fat Girls: Relational Aggression in Online Communities Paper presented at the Reimagining Girlhood conference, SUNY Cortland,.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,September).The Power of Fair Use For Media Literacy Education Afterimage,15 -18.
- Hobbs, R., Pruitt-Mentle, D. and others..(2009,July).Internet Safety and Responsible Behavior Online Threshold,19-24.
- RobbGrieco, M. and Hobbs, R...(2009,March).Media Use & Academic Achievement among African-American Elementary Children Media Education Lab.
- Media Education Lab..(2009,December).Powerful Voices for Kids Year 1 Stewardship Report Media Education Lab.
- Hobbs, R., Jaszi, P. and Aufderheide, P..(2009,).How media literacy educators reclaimed copyright and fair use International Journal of Learning and Media,33 - 48.
- Hobbs, R..(2009,).Medienpädagogik in den Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika. (trans: Media Literacy Education in the United States) Merz,.
- Primack, B & Hobbs, R...(2009,).Which specific components of media literacy are most strongly associated with adolescent smoking? American Journal of Health Behavior,192 - 201.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,).Best Practices Help End Copyright Confusion Council Chronicle,12-13, 27.
- Culver, S.H...(2008,June).Media Education Lab End of Year Report Media Education Lab, Temple University..
- Hobbs, R...(2008,March).Copyright Confusion is Shortchanging our Students Education Week ,26, 29.
- Renee Hobbs ..(2008,).Media Literacy Entry in Encyclopedia International Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents and the Media,.