Media literacy needs to start at home. Parents can be the best teachers of media literacy. Instead of merely restricting children's media usage, parents can engage in discussions about the messages embedded in their children's favorite media and how those messages relate to the family's own values. In an age where children grow up talking with Alexa and screen use is a ubiquitous part of daily life, media literacy in the home is more important than ever before.
Media and Family
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: Book and Online Learning
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Hobbs' theoretical model of digital and media literacy reveals it to be a lifelong learning process
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
After almost 30 years, it's a classic resource for K-12 teachers from the Media Education Lab!
Research and Scholarship
- Renee Hobbs, Paul Folkemer & Katie Donnelly..(2007,).Teens Blog the News .
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,January).Does Media Literacy Work? An Empirical Study of Learning How to Analyze Advertisements Advertising and Society Review ,1-28.
- Renee Hobbs..(2004,).A Review of School-based Initiatives in Media Literacy American Behavioral Scientist,48-59.
- Friesem, Y..(2017,).The media production hive: Using media education for differentiated instruction. Media Education- Studies, Research, Best Practice, 8(1), 123-140. doi:10.14605/MED811708,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(2016,July).Experience, immersion and critical distance in VR/AR in education Ed Tech Mindset,24 - 26.
- Valenza, J. & Hobbs, R. ..(2016,April).School librarians as stakeholders in the children and media community: A dialogue Journal of Children and Media 10:2, 147-155, DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2015.1127841,.
- Kiili, C., Coiro, J. & Hämäläinen, J. ..(2016,April).An online inquiry tool to support the exploration of controversial issues on the Internet Journal of Literacy and Technology 17,1-17.
- Coiro, J., Castek, J. & Quinn, D...(2016,April).Personal inquiry and online research: Connecting learners in ways that matter. The Reading Teacher 69,483 - 492.
- Friesem, J., Greene, K. & Niedbala, M. ..(2016,March).The Curriculum Materials Library as a Hub of Resources, Literacy Practices, and Collaboration: Expanding the Role of the Library Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults,7(1), 1 - 17.
- Tiede, J., Grafe, S. & Hobbs, R...(2015,August).Pedagogical Media Competencies of Preservice Teachers in Germany and the United States: Comparative Analysis of Theory/Practice Peabody Journal of Education 90,533 - 545.
- Hobbs, R. and Moore, David Cooper..(2014,December).Cineykyd: Exploring the Origins of Youth Production Journal of Media Literacy Education,24 - 34.