Media literacy needs to start at home. Parents can be the best teachers of media literacy. Instead of merely restricting children's media usage, parents can engage in discussions about the messages embedded in their children's favorite media and how those messages relate to the family's own values. In an age where children grow up talking with Alexa and screen use is a ubiquitous part of daily life, media literacy in the home is more important than ever before.
Media and Family
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R...(2011,November).Digital and Media Literacy: The Pleasures and Perils of Online Pranking ASCA School Counselor,31 - 35.
- Bailin, E...(2011,January).Learning about Flash Mobs Helps Children Develop News Literacy Skills Spot.Us,.
- Hobbs, R...(2011,).What A Difference 10 Years Can Make: Research Possibilities for the Future of Media Literacy Education Journal of Media Literacy Education,29 - 31.
- Bailin, E...(2010,September).Copyright and Fair Use for Digital Learning Teacher Education Initiative 2010 Media Education Lab.
- Hobbs. R...(2010,September).Empowerment and protection: Complementary strategies for digital and media literacy education in the United States. Formare,1 - 17.
- Hobbs R...(2010,August).News Literacy: What Works and What Doesn't Paper presentation at the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication conference, Denver CO,.
- ..(2010,June).Media Education Lab 2010 End-of-Year Report Media Education Lab.
- Spiller, K and Hobbs, R...(2010,October).Talking About Fashion's Fat Girls: Relational Aggression in Online Communities Paper presented at the Reimagining Girlhood conference, SUNY Cortland,.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,September).The Power of Fair Use For Media Literacy Education Afterimage,15 -18.
- Hobbs, R., Pruitt-Mentle, D. and others..(2009,July).Internet Safety and Responsible Behavior Online Threshold,19-24.
- RobbGrieco, M. and Hobbs, R...(2009,March).Media Use & Academic Achievement among African-American Elementary Children Media Education Lab.
- Media Education Lab..(2009,December).Powerful Voices for Kids Year 1 Stewardship Report Media Education Lab.
- Hobbs, R...(2009,).Best Practices Help End Copyright Confusion Council Chronicle,12-13, 27.
- Hobbs, R., Jaszi, P. and Aufderheide, P..(2009,).How media literacy educators reclaimed copyright and fair use International Journal of Learning and Media,33 - 48.