Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
After 20 years, it's still the most popular resource we offer! A comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
An essential guide for educators designing synchronous and asynchronous learning experiences.
A virtual exchange dialogue opportunity explores people's memories of September 11, 2001.
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,January). The Billerica Initiative Brings Media Literacy to Middle School Community Media Review,.
- Hobbs, R. & Folkemer, P..(1994,January).A New Lens on Channel One Education Week ,37.
- Hobbs, R...(1994,January).Teaching Media Literacy - Yo! Are You Hip To This? Media Studies Journal,135-145.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,).The Billerica Initiative Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy,34-39.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,August).See Dick and Jane Deconstruct: ABC's of Teaching Media Literacy The Independent,25-30.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.
- Hobbs, R...(1991,February). Notes of a No TV survivor Boston Globe,Feb 18: C1.
- Hobbs, R., Stauffer, J., Frost, R. & Davis, A...(1988,January).How First Time Viewers Comprehend Editing Journal of Communication,50-60.
- Hobbs, R...(1988,January). Stop(ping) the Presses! Christian Science Monitor,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Review of "The Media Lab" by S. Brand Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,119-121.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Liberal bias? Review of "The Media Elite," by S. R. Lichter, S. Rothman and L. Lichter Journal of Communication,p. 154-157.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1987,).Review of "The Cult of Information" by Theodore Roszak Journal of Communication ,159-161.