Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
AN INFORMATION LITERACY RESOURCE BASED ON THE ACRL FRAMEWORK
DATE: MONDAY AUGUST 10
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
The comprehensive three-volume curriculum created by Renee Hobbs and the Discovery Channel for the Maryland State Department of Education is available online.
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.
- Hobbs, R...(1991,February). Notes of a No TV survivor Boston Globe,Feb 18: C1.
- Hobbs, R., Stauffer, J., Frost, R. & Davis, A...(1988,January).How First Time Viewers Comprehend Editing Journal of Communication,50-60.
- Hobbs, R...(1988,January). Stop(ping) the Presses! Christian Science Monitor,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Review of "The Media Lab" by S. Brand Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,119-121.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Liberal bias? Review of "The Media Elite," by S. R. Lichter, S. Rothman and L. Lichter Journal of Communication,p. 154-157.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1987,).Review of "The Cult of Information" by Theodore Roszak Journal of Communication ,159-161.