Learning to appreciate and analyze the news media and participate actively as a citizen are vital dimensions of media literacy education. Today's students need to learn to critically analyze news and journalism that comes to them through social media, exploring how people's likes and share affects how news spreads. Because news consumers now have greater influence than ever, a deep understanding of how news constructs social reality enables learners to appreciate how journalism can either reinforce or challenge the status quo.
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Podcast explore the politics of media literacy and the pedagogy of teaching propaganda
Finally, a media literacy textbook written by Renee Hobbs!
Help students learn to ask questions about what they read, see, watch and listen to.
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,).The Billerica Initiative Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy,34-39.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,August).See Dick and Jane Deconstruct: ABC's of Teaching Media Literacy The Independent,25-30.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.
- Hobbs, R...(1991,February). Notes of a No TV survivor Boston Globe,Feb 18: C1.
- Hobbs, R...(1988,January). Stop(ping) the Presses! Christian Science Monitor,.
- Hobbs, R., Stauffer, J., Frost, R. & Davis, A...(1988,January).How First Time Viewers Comprehend Editing Journal of Communication,50-60.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Review of "The Media Lab" by S. Brand Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,119-121.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Liberal bias? Review of "The Media Elite," by S. R. Lichter, S. Rothman and L. Lichter Journal of Communication,p. 154-157.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1987,).Review of "The Cult of Information" by Theodore Roszak Journal of Communication ,159-161.