Media Education Lab researchers developed pioneering "gold standard" measures of the media literacy competencies of adolescent learners, looking at their ability to analyze news and advertising. Media literacy learning outcomes can be measured through qualititative and quantitative research. By creative approaches to observing, documenting, assessing and measuring student learning, the Media Education Lab improves the quality of media literacy education.
Measuring Media Literacy
Explore and reflect on how college and university faculty engage in teaching about propaganda with a diverse group of faculty experts
Have you been curious about what Tier 2 is all about? Want to reflect more about the Power of Two in relation to personal and professional identity and action?
Propaganda Education for a Digital Age: New Book Plus Online Learning Modules
Undergraduate and graduate students benefit from exploring the multidisciplinary history of media literacy
Talk about feelings & needs in ways that promote compassion & empathy
Reflect on why digital and media literacy matters for learning and teaching
Now it's easier than ever to engage students and support learning through creating videos, animations, infographics and more
Research and Scholarship
- Hobbs, R. ..(1994,).The Billerica Initiative Telemedium: The Journal of Media Literacy,34-39.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,August).See Dick and Jane Deconstruct: ABC's of Teaching Media Literacy The Independent,25-30.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1993,November).Channel One: Schulfernseshen zwischen innovation und kommerz (The Promise and Peril of Channel One) Bertelsmann Briefe,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1992,).Teaching the Media Journal of Communication,p. 180-184.
- Hobbs, R...(1991,February). Notes of a No TV survivor Boston Globe,Feb 18: C1.
- Hobbs, R., Stauffer, J., Frost, R. & Davis, A...(1988,January).How First Time Viewers Comprehend Editing Journal of Communication,50-60.
- Hobbs, R...(1988,January). Stop(ping) the Presses! Christian Science Monitor,.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Review of "The Media Lab" by S. Brand Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media,119-121.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1988,).Liberal bias? Review of "The Media Elite," by S. R. Lichter, S. Rothman and L. Lichter Journal of Communication,p. 154-157.
- Hobbs, R. ..(1987,).Review of "The Cult of Information" by Theodore Roszak Journal of Communication ,159-161.